Healthcare Industry Turns to Talent Management Software to Meet Compliance Requirements, Improve Patient Care
New Cornerstone OnDemand white paper shares best practices for helping healthcare HR leaders evolve their people management and development strategies
SANTA MONICA, Calif., September 13, 2011 – Changes in the healthcare industry, such as consolidations, nursing and IT staff shortages, and increasingly detailed regulatory compliance needs, are requiringhealthcare HR leaders to evolve their employee development and management strategies. A new white paper from Cornerstone OnDemand (NASDAQ: CSOD), “Talent Management for Healthcare: Facilitating Organizational Excellence and Outstanding Patient Care,” shares how leveraging talent management software, combined with the right strategies, can help healthcare providers better meet compliance requirements, address skill gaps, streamline processes and improve the quality of patient care.
Compared to other industries, Bersin & Associates research shows that healthcare has traditionally been slow to adopt and implement talent management automation and processes.1 This includes processes for training and development, performance management, onboarding and succession management.
“Today’s comprehensive HR software solutions make it much easier to establish common processes and track and report on employee information across even the largest, most dispersed health systems,” said Julie Norquist Roy, VP of marketing for Cornerstone OnDemand. “From blended learning and real-time performance observation to compliance assessments, organizations now have the ability to automate and integrate processes that tend to be paper-based or conducted in silos. And by empowering employees with appropriate training and development support, we’ve seen our clients improve working environments and boost staff retention.”
One organization that is successfully managing the compliance needs of its medical community is the St. Louis-based BJC HealthCare. BJC uses Cornerstone’s learning and development platform, as well as Cornerstone’s performance observation checklist functionality, to standardize clinical competencies across its hospital system and observe and measure competencies and performance in the field in real-time. This helps to ensure superior patient care and safety, as well as compliance with accreditation standards and requirements imposed by Joint Commission, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and state agencies.
To jump-start learning and talent initiatives in a healthcare organization, Cornerstone’s white paper recommends these five steps:
- Build with an eye toward integration. A strong learning management system will benefit from onboarding, performance and succession initiatives. To maximize the value of your investment, consider targeted, formal development programs for employee supervisors.
- Automate job descriptions with a foundation of competencies. Standardize job descriptions and competencies to create a common culture in large healthcare systems and build job profiles that will guide career development, training and performance improvement across your organization.
- Build internal talent pools. Grow your own talent by implementing appropriate talent management and learning tools. This makes identifying high-potential employees and developing critical skills easier to accomplish.
- Collaborate to build a comprehensive succession strategy. HR can and must play a crucial role in facilitating the next generation of leadership. Technology can identify the gaps and assign development plans for designated successors.
- Leverage the power of software-as-a-service (SaaS). Healthcare employers can now rapidly implement talent solutions at a far lower cost and with greater operational efficiency. Other advantages include less time to ROI.
Healthcare organizations such as Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Sanford Health and WellSpan Health use Cornerstone’s comprehensive SaaS solution to streamline their people management processes. To learn more about talent management best practices for healthcare or read more about BJC HealthCare’s initiatives, download the white paper at http://www.cornerstoneondemand.com/talent-management-healthcare-facilitating-organizational-excellence-and-outstanding-patient-care.
For more information about Cornerstone OnDemand, visit www.cornerstoneondemand.com. To follow Cornerstone OnDemand on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/cornerstoneinc. To read Cornerstone OnDemand’s talent management blog, visit http://www.cornerstoneondemand.com/blog.
Cornerstone was founded with a passion for empowering people through learning and a conviction that people should be your organisation’s greatest competitive advantage.
Cornerstone is a global human capital management leader with a core belief that companies thrive when they help their employees to realize their potential. Putting this belief into practice, Cornerstone offers solutions to help companies strategically manage and continuously develop their talent throughout the entire employee lifecycle.
Featuring comprehensive recruiting, personalised learning, development-driven performance management, and holistic HR planning, Cornerstone’s human capital management platform is successfully used by more than 3,500 global clients of all sizes, spanning more than 42 million users across 192 countries and 43 languages.
Learn more at cornerstoneondemand.co.uk.